Engineer I - Compression
Company: DISH Network
Posted on: February 19, 2021
DISH is a Fortune 250 company with more than $13 billion in
annual revenue that continues to redefine the communications
industry. Our legacy is innovation and a willingness to challenge
the status quo, including reinventing ourselves. We disrupted the
pay-TV industry in the mid-90s with the launch of the DISH
satellite TV service, taking on some of the largest U.S.
corporations in the process, and grew to be the fourth-largest
pay-TV provider. We are doing it again with the first live,
internet-delivered TV service - Sling TV - that bucks traditional
pay-TV norms and gives consumers a truly new way to access and
Now we have our sights set on upending the wireless industry and
unseating the entrenched incumbent carriers.
We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win -
it's in our DNA. We're looking for people with boundless energy,
intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team
as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are DISH.
Dish Network (Dish Technologies) is seeking a Compression Engineer
for our Cheyenne, WY, broadcast center to design, implement and
maintain all video and audio compression systems needed to support
customers. Compression engineers work across multiple departments
to resolve concerns with audio and video quality, signal handling,
encryption, specialized hardware and transmission. With the
constant evolution of technology, the pace is quick and the scope
of work is ever evolving, though the foundation skills of video
compression, networking, troubleshooting, and virtualization
remain. The Compression team is a great fit for job seekers who
embrace new and specialized technologies, thrive on the improvement
and sharing of knowledge, and seek out unique challenges. Working
in Compression demands a tenacious, detail oriented person who is
ready to work shifts in an engineering environment.
Primary Responsibilities Fall Into The Following Categories
- Support the video encoding and multiplexing infrastructure and
work to ensure content quality meets or exceeds specifications and
- Represent the Compression Team as a technical lead through
interactions with peers, vendors, suppliers, customers.
- Develop documentation, including but not limited to
configuration, operation, system troubleshooting, and
- Research system errors, discrepancies, and outage resolution.
This must include analysis to determine cause of issue, complete
with documentation of events and explanation. Depending on the
scenario, additional steps may be necessary including, but not
- The development and communication of operational and/or system
- Scheduled resolution of any ongoing, non-customer impacting
- Escalation and coordination with next level of engineering if
cause is not determinable
The successful Engineer I - Compression will have the
- Bachelor's Degree or four years related experience and/or
training, or equivalent combination of education and
- 2 or more years of related experience
- Be able to work any shift as assigned, as dictated by the needs
of a 24/7 business
- Comfortably lift equipment, up to 50 pounds in weight, and
place in racks or storage areas.
- Understanding of video compression and transport stream
- Understanding of networking and cloud computing
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and
must be flexible enough to deal with different technical skill
levels, skill sets and a highly dynamic work environment and
- The ability to creatively approach problems not covered by
existing procedures is important
Compensation: $48,600.00/Yr. - $67,300.00/Yr.
From versatile health perks to new career opportunities, check out
our benefits on our careers website .
Employment is contingent on successful completion of a
pre-employment criminal background check, which may include a drug
Keywords: DISH Network, Cheyenne , Engineer I - Compression, Engineering , Cheyenne, Wyoming
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!