Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Company: US Department of Veteran Affairs
Posted on: September 13, 2018
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Utilizes independent practitioner status with prescriptive authority to assess and administer treatment for psychiatric illness.
- Initiating, prescribing, renewing, refilling, monitoring, and managing the care of patients on psychotropic medications
- Performs comprehensive psychiatric evaluations including detailed history of mental status evaluations on assigned patients.
- Evaluates available data and orders appropriate laboratory tests.
- Has availability to previous psychiatric records.
- Prescribes appropriate therapies and follow-up as indicated.
- Maintains accurate, thorough records via dictation of evaluations/ note or written evaluation/progress notes.
- Refers medical problems to the appropriate medical staff as indicated
- Is available for suicide assessment and crisis intervention.
- Works as in integral part of a multidisciplinary treatment team.
- The model of productivity is 80% productivity 20% admin. One hour new patient evaluations and 30-minute return client appointments.
- On call is required 2-3 weeks per year. The on-call structure is 2 tiered with medication providers being the 2nd level.
- May be involved in carrying a patient panel, providing same-day access support, and working in Primary Care-Mental Health Integration.
- Provide and coordinate comprehensive care for assigned patients in any care setting;
- Provide education, therapy, and counseling of patients and families in psychiatric conditions, addiction issues, and medical conditions related to psychotropic medication use
- Psychiatric consult liaison (inpatient)
- 10% of caseload to be done through tele health
- 5 days a week 8-430.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, may vary
Financial Disclosure Report: Not RequiredBasic Requirements:
- Citizenship: Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens)
Graduation from School of Nursing: Possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC/ACEN or CCNE at the time the program was completed.
Licensure: Possess a current, full, active, and unrestricted license as a nurse practitioner in a state.
Certification: Maintain full and current certification as a psychiatric nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. [The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6 Nurse Qualification Standards
Physical Requirements: This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring patients and objects may be required. Mechanical inpatient lifts are provided. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations, operative/invasive procedures, or home settings. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs. Must complete annual Employee Health requirements, such as annual TB screening or testing, as a condition of employment. The incumbent who provides care in home settings or other off-site locations may be required to drive and/or ride in GSA-vehicles.
Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.None
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), etc.
- Cover Letter
- VA Form 10-2850a, Application for Nurses
- VA Letter
VA Form 10-2850a - Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http://www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search
Keywords: US Department of Veteran Affairs, Cheyenne , Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Healthcare , Cheyenne, Wyoming
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!